Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thoughts of a New Beginning/ 2011

On January 1st of every year, people feel the need re-invent themselves...and I'm no exception. Resolutions are made every year. People want to lose weight and get healthy. Others want to better themselves mentally and psychologically. Some may want to chase noble efforts such as quitting smoking or drinking. Still others may strive to challenge themselves spiritually. Whatever the reason may be, we, as human beings get a chance every year to forget the old year and get a chance to start over in the new year. Goals that weren't accomplished in the old year are resurrected again, taken off the shelf, dusted off and given new life. The new year brings forth a renewed spirit of hope. 

As I grow older (and hopefully more mature), I am beginning to realize that I am not the same person I was even a year ago. On January 1, 2010, I had every intention of losing weight, becoming a better person, yada, yada, yada...However, as we make resolutions, we forget something! We forget that there is this little thing called...wait for it...have you guessed what it is yet? L-I-F-E

Yes folks it's that thing called life that  often gets in the way of resolutions. One example:

  • (resolution) I am going to hit the gym and get in shape and lose weight
  • (life) I can't make it to the gym because ___________________ (insert reason)
 All of us, often have a million excuses why we can't keep these resolutions. I have this to do...I have that to do...I'm too busy... I have to give the dog a bath, etc, etc...

When have we become so complacent in our lives that we can't find the time to carry out these noble pursuits. Things like losing weight to get healthy or quitting smoking, or seeking out ways to make us a better person are noble and valid. 

Now as I type this, I realize that I am a prime example of a complacent individual who is taking life for granted. Ten years ago I was a person who wasn't thinking about the future. I did what I did when I wanted to do it and that was it. I only had to take care of me. Ten years ago if you would have told me that I was going to be married and have a child, I would have said, "Yea right buddy...are you nuts? I can barely take care of myself!" 

So now here it is, ten years later and I am married to a beautiful and loving woman and we have a beautiful four year old daughter. No longer do I have the privilege of being complacent. I now am a husband and a father. Not only are my responsibilities to myself. I now have  bigger responsibilities that include my wife, my daughter....and the future. (Insert scary music here) Things that I once took for granted are staring me in face and daring me to (as I borrow a quote from The Shawshank Redemption) "Get busy living...or get busy dying!" When such a challenge is staring you in the face, what do you do? Each individual will choose to approach such a challenge in their own way. As for me, I don't especially find the notion of death too appealing. So with that thought, my resolution for 2011 is this option....

"Get busy living!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment